Beitrag von prof_braino »

Steffen -

Please see my edits above
stesch99

Re: FORTH - PropForth on the Hive

Beitrag von stesch99 »

Hi prof_braino!

Thank you for your added informations.
I have tested something and give you a statement of my results.

Please see my markings with ###:

Steffen

Hi Steffen

- Tera Term 57600, 8 , N, 1, no handshake
- hiresvga20100912-0943 fix-hive.f marking all,

Did you include "fl" at the beginning of file? "fl" must be first thing, 'fastload' (see documentation page) must do pasted text or errors will occur

- after this I press Enter and put in "saveforth" and press Enter

ensure that no error "UNDEFINED WORD" message has occurred, it would be due to omission of "fl"

### command "fl" is the first line from copied file

- then I see more and more points

each point is a 64 byte page written to EEPROM, this is correct operation

- if points stopped I put in "reboot" or make a hardware reboot
- but the result on my moonitor is the same as before

Something has gone wrong.
The SPIN program is correct and is using the Hive VGA pinout, as evidenced by the correct blue display with white garbage characters.

The Hive VGA forth code (hiresvga20100912-0943 fix-hive.f) has not loaded correctly on to the propforth kernel (and saved to EEPROM via the saveforth word). If it was me, it would be due to loading hiresvga20100912-0943 fix-hive.f onto the wrong prop, or using the hiresvga20100912-0943 fix.f for the demo board (both of which happened :) ). But you should not have had this chance if you use only Bella and only the HIVE zip download.

> other 2 Propeller-Chips
I put disable-led.spin on admin to see the heartbeat, and standard ethernet-regnatix.spin diagnostic on Reg for development. but propforth does not particularly mind as long as nobody is fighting for pins.

### I have done the other 2 Propellerchips completely outside from the HIVE-Board now, to be sure that no conflicts with Bellatrix exist, als ENC28J60 is deactived by removing chrystal

>I wondering also about the following effect: In use the terminal-program with a key-response. I must give each character very slowly.
This is not normal. If you can solve this issue, you should solve the others.

*** DO you have previous programs loaded on the other two Props? - trying disabling them during diagnostics
*** DO you have an old key board? Sal used an ancient one, but mine was a new model and had a cheaper clock circuit, we had to increase the time-out delay waiting for key codes, I was getting two incorrect characters "y" and "z" were swapped.
*** DO you have a very new fancy programmable keyboard from China? If it is too fancy and needs to talk to its driver? That is kind of stretching, but thats all I got right now.

### I have used 3 different keyboards (non-programmable standard-keyboards with prices around 5 $ until 30 $) with no effect. After this I have used Original Microsoft Monitor-Keyboard-Program with
my mouse. The same result by response of the words. Now I think the keyboard
is not the source of not correct response.

>In other case I get a wrong response from propeller-forth. Maybe I write "reboot" and I get as response "reroot".
This is not expected. This is usually due to demonic possession possibly by ancient spirits from China, or there is noise on the serial line from other means. You could be ripping video on a slow machine, or too near heavy industrial equipment, or of course demonic possession. Swap the keyboard for an old standard model before you call a priest.

### I have deactivated my Wireless LAN, Powerlan, Microwave is not on and no industrial equipment in my near. I have switched off the FIFO-Hardware-Buffer for the serial Port and have used different Baud-rates, with or without handshake and so on.
I use USB to seriell Converter from Prolific, maybe they have a driver problem but
I use this also with propeller tool for programming the HIVE without problems and also communication with other microcontroller works over serial program works fine with this converter. I want to check with another converter in next time, but at the moment I don't have a second converter by the hand.
I thinking also about to use another computer as programming device in next days.

>This effect I have with all 3 used terminal programs. Is this a known effect.
Never seen before except in the case of demonic possession, which turned out to be a loose wire in the serial cable. (but the demonic possession story is much more interesting).

***** hiresvga20100912-0943 fix-hive.f dhould be loaded on BELLA (Hive VGA pinout)
***** hiresvga20100912-0943 fix.f should be loaded on Regnatix and Administra (standard version)

NOTE: code to access Hive hardware configuration on Regnatix and Administra is being developed, we will try to use Regnatix.f and Administra.f (forth code files) to add the functionality as FORTH extensions instead of kernel modifications, as possible.

drohne235 has had success. please see if he has any insight, it would be easier as he can answer in German. Do what he did if possible.

###
I try to reach drohne235 via telephone next days to support me.
drohne235
Administrator

Beitrag von drohne235 »

I try to reach drohne235 via telephone next days to support me.
Gute Idee, dann werden wir das mal parallel zusammen installieren - muss ja irgendwie gehen!
"Ob Sie denken, dass Sie es können, oder ob Sie denken, dass Sie es nicht können - in beiden Fällen haben Sie recht." Henry Ford
prof_braino

One last thing -

You are using a standard 5 MHz crystal, and not the 6.25 MHz over clock?

And your cable is fine with prop tool and spin?

This is a very interesting problem.

Is your power supply the standard Parallax switching power supply 7.5 volts 1000mA (measures at 6.8 volts)

MAYBE your power supply has low voltage? This is tough to diagnose in my head.

I can't think of anything else, I am out of beer.

Good luck!
prof_braino

Did you guys ever get this working?

-------------------------------------

Habt ihr schon mal dieses Problem?
drohne235
Administrator

Beitrag von drohne235 »

We have examined the problem and it is a communication problem between host and hive (cable, interface or USB-SER-Converter). Stesch99 to the correct running remotely on my computer has seen. I think the problem will soon be solved.
"Ob Sie denken, dass Sie es können, oder ob Sie denken, dass Sie es nicht können - in beiden Fällen haben Sie recht." Henry Ford
stesch99

Beitrag von stesch99 »

Hi HIVE-PropForth-Fans!

Today I have good new informations.
I have used another serial port on my computer (normal serial port not a USB tor seriel Converter) and now PropForth works.

Hooray, hooray!

I think it was only a communication problem in the driver from the USB-serial-converter.
Now I think also that its better to have a standard serial port to exclude problems
with hardware by testing software which uses serial ports.

Thanks from me to prof_braino and drohne235 for best support and bringing me on the right way to find a solution.

Best wishes from Steffen (stesch99)
chris-nobody

Beitrag von chris-nobody »

Hi prof_braino,
maybe it is of topic but i`m not a member of the Parallax-Forum.
I have read about your intensions of using Parallax/Hive as a controller for a 3d-printer or mill.
In the german section of this forum i have asked for help to use the Hive with Forth as a controller.("Stl-Unterstützung")
In an other german forum http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?35 we have a great discussion for using mills with induction heated extruder.
Topic: "RepRap-Extruderkopf für CNC-Fräse".
Maybe there is some information for you.Translate with babelfish.
Sorry for my terrible english.( i am an old mechanican)
Erich
prof_braino

Hi All

WE are packaging up PropForth 4.6 archive for download later today.
http://code.google.com/p/propforth/downloads/list

This includes a couple bug fixes to 4.5

Version 4.6 is the last planned release before version 5.0 in September.
Version 5.0 is the planned final release of the PropForth Kernel.

V5.0 will retain all the function or 4.x, the only major change being assembler optimizations for speed and reduced memory footprint.
Most functions will enjoy a significant performance increase and reduced memory footprint due to PAGED ASSEMBLER implementation.
That is, functions that are triggered to execute in COG memory will consume zero bytes of HUB memory.
This is achieved by placing the compiled/assembler dictionary entries in EEPROM/SD, the increase due to assembler more than compensated for the decrease due to serial transfer. Thus propforth should no longer be constrained by memory size limitation.

If you are interested in FORTH on the Propeller, now is a good time to create an application that uses more resources than are available on a single prop; this may be the last opportunity to experience this issue. :)
Antworten