Hive 004 and Hive 060 build

prof_braino

Hive 004 and Hive 060 build

Beitrag von prof_braino »

Hi All

Progress on my build and a a couple questions:

Boards, parts, tools, and equipment are in.

I started the build using the "Variation" advice on http://hive-project.de/support/build-your-hive; The SD slot and the IC sockets are soldered on as Step 0.

Next will be step 1, power supply.

Questions:

1. Using the continuity setting on the volt-ohm meter, I detected a solder bridge (short) on the close pins of the SD slot on one of the boards, which I fixed. Is it common practice to check each junction with a meter; or is it better to visually inspect during assembly, and trouble shoot using the final circuit? What do you folks do?

2. In various places there is advice that instructions are to be altered and the sequence changed; capacitors have different value; resistors have different value; diodes are reversed. ARE there changes already present in the posted build instructions? Are these changes optional, or are any required?

3. Initially, I used old lead solder instead of RohS compliant solder. This was only on the SD slot. Does this make any difference?

4. The instructional video on surface mount soldering (for the SD Slot) advised that applying flux was that key to success. Does the flux have to be washed off after soldering is complete? Is it better to wash each joint after it is soldered, or wait until the entire board is complete and wash the whole thing all at once? Is alcohol or water used to wash the flux? Can the board be immersed or is it best to use a swab? Is it common to apply extra flux when soldering non-surface mount parts, or is the flux in the solder core sufficient?

Thanks!
drohne235
Administrator
Re: Hive 004 and Hive 060 build

Beitrag von drohne235 »

Hi prof_braino,

it's very nice of the building begins now. :D

1. I would recommend the following:
a) Special care is needed in the supply circuitry. There, I would measure as much as necessary, as there may be damage caused by errors.
b) All other components I would then consider only visually. If you gradually build the hive, and the functions then check equal to the corresponding test programs from the test package, a gradual narrowing of errors is very possible. It is therefore important to test the hive and gradually build up.

2. There is only one fundamental change that leads to an improvement in sound quality: the sound patch.
http://hive-project.de/build-your-hive- ... udio-patch
Otherwise there are no changes to the tutorial and the Hive works great if you build it exactly.

3. I would never use soldering for the Hive RoHS-compliant solder! As far as you can, always use old solder with flux core - so that it works significantly better and the risk of solder bridges and bad solder joints is much lower.

4. If you are beginner at soldering, you have cause to long soldering times and may need additional flux, so that no bridges. I would clean the soldering then immediately after soldering, since solving the flux residues usually better. To clean, we should use technically pure alcohol. I myself use isopropanol, which can be issued to us in the pharmacy-shop. Isopropanol dissolves very well the flux evaporates very quickly and without residue. Flux is not soluble in water, so water is not suitable for that!

If you later have more practice, does the flow of funds from the tin and there are no residues. Look at times the following video: well you recognize the short soldering times. Even with a proper soldering flux residues remain difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
"Ob Sie denken, dass Sie es können, oder ob Sie denken, dass Sie es nicht können - in beiden Fällen haben Sie recht." Henry Ford
prof_braino

:D Power supplies are reading 3.29v & 5.05v; and 3.29 & 4.97v

It turns out I ordered the incorrect power connectors, but I was able to adjust them. Since no smoke appeared on power-up, I will assume it is OK.

Sound patch is complete, bridge wires are in place of capacitors C9 and C10, and resistors R21 and R22 are 220 ohm.

Using my old lead solder works much better.

I tried alcohol and swabs to clean the flux from the RohS soldered joints on yesterday's IC socket work. It dissolved most of the flux, but still left a mess. It appears I used too much flux by a factor of three. Or perhaps the flux I used was intended for plumbing not electronics. I will give cleaning extra attention tonight.
drohne235
Administrator

Beitrag von drohne235 »

Since no smoke appeared on power-up, I will assume it is OK.
:mrgreen:

I use for cleaning a small hard brush - one swabs is probably too soft.
"Ob Sie denken, dass Sie es können, oder ob Sie denken, dass Sie es nicht können - in beiden Fällen haben Sie recht." Henry Ford
prof_braino

drohne235 hat geschrieben: I use for cleaning a small hard brush - one swabs is probably too soft.
I tired my wife's old toothbrush, it works much better. However, she said it makes it taste "funny". Just joking, she did not say "funny".
prof_braino

OK, everything checked out until step 4.

The only deviations from the posted instructions is:
1) SD slot was soldered first
2) all IC sockets were soldered next
After power supply, Host inter face, and cable:
3) Used PIN SOCKETS for quartz (to allow changing quartz crystals)
4) used PIN SOCKETS for Heart Beat LEDs ( to allow re-purposing the HB LED I/O ports)
5) Added capacitor for each prop socket, Resistor for each EEPROM socket, Resistor for each HB LEB, and added each socketed
HB LED. Only Bellatrix Prop is installed; Admin and Reginex are not installed. No EEPROM is installed.

Running Prop Tool correctly identifies the PC serial port as present, used a USB to BD-9 converter as in the pictures (COM4), also tried the old DB-9 (COM1). DIP Switch is set #3 ON and #6 ON, others are OFF.

Prop Tool does NOT recognize the prop chip as present. I only tried it on one board with one prop in case I ruined something.

Is there a problem using PIN Sockets for the Quartz?
frida

Beitrag von frida »

Hello,

on my board I used:
#1 and #4 for Bellatrix
#2 and #5 for Administra
#3 and #6 for Regnatix

HIVE 085
drohne235
Administrator

Beitrag von drohne235 »

The Propeller chip works without quartz - then the internal oscillator used.

Switches for Bellatrix:
http://picasaweb.google.de/lh/photo/I6V ... directlink

Can you make a high-resolution photo, then perhaps we can see the problem? If possible, from the top and bottom?
prof_braino

Switches are in the orientation as the photo, and are set the same as the picture.

I checked with the continuity setting on the VOM:
pin 40 of Bella's socket is connected to pin 12 of Max232's socket through switch 6;
pin 39 of Bella's socket is connected to pin 9 of Max232's socket through switch 3;

The PC end of the RS232 cable (via the adapter cable):
DB9 pin1 has continuity with max232 socket 11
DB9 pin2 has continuity with max232 socket 8 (and beeps once on 7)
DB9 pin3 has continuity with max232 socket 13
DB9 pin4 has continuity with max232 socket 7 (and beeps once on 8)
DB9 pin5 has continuity with max232 socket

On the prop sockets:
Pins 9 & 10 on all three sockets are tied together, is this correct?
This is one leg of the capacitor;
I notice the other leg of the capacitor is on pin12, and all three sockets are tied together.
Is this correct?

I'll get pictures posted in a bit...

So I don't need Q1 at this point? Could that be why it didn't detect?

Also, I noticed a post that states the EEPROM is required in all cases. Is this correct or is there an error in translation? I did not put the EEPROM in, just in case something went wrong. Should I put the EEPROM in and try again?
prof_braino

Hive 004 Bottom
Hive 004 bottom - Bellatrix
Hive 004 bottom - Bellatrix
Antworten